A Message from the Medway Fire Department about Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Avoid the “Invisible Killer”

Issue Date: 
January, 2017
Article Body: 

CO is called the “Invisible Killer” because it’s a colorless, odorless, and poisonous gas. According to the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), more than 150 people in the United States die every year from accidental non-fire-related CO poisoning associated with consumer products, including generators. Other products include faulty, improperly-used or incorrectly-vented fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters, and fireplaces.
Protect your family from CO poisoning with these USFA tips:
• Install and maintain CO alarms in a central location outside each separate sleeping area and on every level of your home to provide early warning of CO.
• Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from all doors, windows, and vents.
• Make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow and other debris.
Learn the symptoms of CO poisoning and other CO safety information on the USFA Carbon Monoxide Safety page.